Sunday, February 13, 2011

Piece of Cake...almost.

On Friday I went up to my sister Michelle's house for a cake baking party. I wanted to try to stack a cake and she happened to have two birthday kids needing cakes for a party on Saturday. She was nice to let me step in and take over her kitchen for about six hours. We had a lot of fun chatting while we worked.

The cakes didn't turn out exactly how I pictured in my head, but I am improving and I learned a lot in the process. I tried using fondant for the first time and it was trickier than I had thought it would be, but I think with a little more practice fondant and I may become good friends. This is Michelle's son Will's cake. Turned out pretty cute I must say, but this was the "easier cake"
this is Baby Sarah's first birthday cake. It is pretty cute, especially considering it was my first stacked cake and my first time using fondant. (Which I did not roll out thin enough)
Sarah LOVES animals so on Thursday I made some cute little animals to attach on the cake using modeling chocolate and my edible markers. I just cut out the shapes myself.

I told Michelle before we added the bow/modeling chocolate all over the cakes that it looked like a giant partially melted marshmallow. But, we decorated the giant marshmallow anyway and Sarah loved it. Thanks Michelle for letting me come play! you can see party pictures on her blog here.

6 comments:

Nessa said...

Great Job! Next time you nd Randy come out here we should bake and decorate again...any excuse for frosting! :)

katester said...

I am now ashamed of all my cakes. Thanks. J/k. Awesome job on both cakes!

Ali said...

Good job, Heather. The animals are so cute!

Grandpa and Grandma B said...

No apologies necessary - I love the cakes.

Stephanie said...

Amazing job on the cakes! You are so talented!! I love seeing the different cakes you come up with.

dave, catie, and baby b. said...

mmm.
you should really photograph your
process next time! i'm fascinated!

i want cake.