Jacob hasn't been doing well with his asthma lately, so we took him to the doctor and now we have to give him two different nasty tasting medications for his asthma and allergies. Since Randy ditched me to go on a canoe trip with the scouts (that of course he volunteered to go on) I am on my own in administering this said medicine. Here is how I have been successful in doing so.
How to: give a two-year-old nasty tasting medicine
1. there is no reasoning with a two-year-old, so you have to get down to business right away.
2. sit on the floor with him laying on your lap.
3. place your right leg over both his legs so he can't kick you or the medicine.
4. take both his arms with your left hand.
5. grab the loaded medicine syringe with your right hand.
6. try to hold his head with the crook of your left elbow.
7. a)shove the syringe in his mouth and squirt the medicine in.
7. b)If he is as tight lipped as mine is, you must bend your head down and plug his nose with your mouth until he opens his mouth to breathe. Then quickly administer the medicine.
8. Let go of everything and hold his mouth shut until he swallows. He WILL try to spit it out.
9. Have a glass of milk handy to get the taste out of his mouth quickly. (I hear a spoonful of sugar helps the medicine go down as well.)
repeat twice a day for at least 5 days according to the doctors recommendations.
Caution: you MUST follow these steps at lightning speed in order to be successful. I recommend practicing a few times with an older test subject such as a sibling who can be easily bribed with copious amounts of Nerf bullets for his Nerf gun. NEVER use real medicine on the test subject.