Sunday, January 11, 2015

Church Cancelled

I got a phone call this morning from Brother Seljaas in the Bishopric. He called to inform me (because I'm the primary president) that a water line had broken and so half our ward was without water, but more importantly, The church building was without any water. He said I should prepare myself and to let the parents know that should anyone need to use the restroom or anything, they will have to head home. I listened to him for a little bit and then told him that while it is all well and good for the adults to "hold it" for two hours, there is no way that a little 3 year old can tell his/her teacher they have to go to the bathroom, then be taken to their parents, then be taken home without having an accident. It was just not practical to have primary in this case. We definitely NEED bathrooms. Drinking fountains, however, are a luxury we can do without. Bro Seljaas got a little quiet and then said "hum... I didn't think of that. I'll call you back." A few minutes later he called back saying that the bishop had decided not to have the first two hours of church (primary) today and that I should call/text everyone in the primary and my friends to let them know what was going on.
Later that day, when our family arrived at church, brother Leger came up to me and said "Hey, thanks Heather for cancelling church today!" I asked him what he meant and he said that he was in Priesthood executive committee that morning and after I told bro Seljaas what I thought, it was brought up in the meeting and the bishop changed his mind about having any meetings besides sacrament meeting. So...in other words, I had cancelled church! kind of funny. The water was fixed and turned back on later in the day, so there were no ongoing problems.

No comments: