Wednesday, January 7, 2015

Skiing with Randy!

Randy took me skiing today. I know what you're thinking: "But Heather, you don't ski? do you?" the short answer is "no." I haven't been skiing for at least 15 years. We headed up to Park City first thing in the morning and rented some skis for both of us. I had forgotten how hard it is to walk in Ski boots! I'm pretty sure I looked a bit more ridiculous than most people do.
 We skied for most of the day. I was surprised that it is much like riding a bike. It came right back to me on how to move my body in  order to ski the way I wanted to. Luckily it wasn't too cold either. I skied with my coat open for the whole day. I found out quickly that I hadn't used certain muscles for a very long time so I tired very fast. My legs were burning and screaming at me to stop after just a few runs down the bunny hill. Speaking of screaming, whenever I felt like I was going too fast, I screamed like a little girl! The kids in the ski school probably thought it was hilarious watching this giant grown woman screaming as she (slowly) ventured down the bunny hill.
Also, I'm kind of afraid of heights, so I was a bit terrified every time we used the ski lift. no joke, I was even more tense and fearful on the "rest" we got while heading back up the hill. There was no relaxing for me. I even have sore hands from gripping the poles so tight while I skied. So, while rarely used, I hung onto them for dear life. (I know I'm crazy).
After I couldn't possibly go any longer (my legs couldn't take it anymore) Randy let me sit at the restaurant and he got to go off by himself down the more difficult slopes. I was people watching for a very long time. In fact, I got a little worried when Randy was gone for over an hour. I started to panic a bit; thinking of what I would do if he never came back (that's what happens when you have anxieties and you are hanging out by yourself in an unfamiliar place.) I didn't have keys to the car, I didn't have my cell phone, and I wondered what would happen if Randy got hurt or something. I had left my phone in the car because I am known for losing/breaking/killing cell phones. That's why I don't have any photos.
After an hour and a half, Randy skied into view. Whew, that was  a relief. We had such fun spending the entire day together doing something we both enjoy (he a little more than myself.) I'm just glad that I never fell down and got to see Randy have a ton of fun.

No comments: