Monday, May 25, 2009

Washington DC on my PC

Lily, Randy and I got back from Washington DC on Saturday. It was such a fun/interesting/exhausting trip. We flew out on Tuesday and stayed in Manassas the first two nights Randy had to work Wednesday, but he got back to the hotel in the mid-afternoon, so we got to see some of DC that night. we pretty much toured the rest of the time we were there (until Saturday). Lily was a trooper. She slept on all three flights and was full of smiles for the majority of the time. She slept a lot; either that or she was passed out from heat exhaustion. Either way, she was a great baby to haul along. I won't bore you with details of every single day, if you want that, you can call me. here are a few anecdotes from our trip. as well as a slide show. (I made sure you could speed it up in case you get bored. aren't I nice!)



Ratings:
Lincoln memorial-our favorite
WWII monument-Awesome!
Iwo Jima- Amazing and a lot bigger than I thought it would be (TWSS)
Korean Memorial-Eerily awesome at night
Jefferson Memorial-Very cool (loved how much he talks about God)
Roosevelt memorial- pretty, but why did they make him sitting everywhere when he didn't want to be thought of as "Handicapped"?
Washington Monument-It's OK you don't have to be right next to it to appreciate it.
Manassas National Battlefield- Interesting
National Archives- Randy liked it a lot more than I did
I loved the Museum of art (while Randy was bored)
Randy loved the Air and Space Museum (while I was bored)

Funny Stuff:
Lily pooping really loud on the flight to Virginia.

While crossing the street to the museum of Art, Randy was hit by a biker. (the kind that pull a cart with people in it.) Very funny to me, not so funny to Randy and Lily.

My super duper frizzy hair as high as the sky!

We ran into four LDS missionaries at the Manassas Battlefield Park. You can't get away from those Mormon missionaries!

The security guy at the Smithsonian looking at our map and saying to us "You are parked at the tidal basin?" with disbelief that we had walked that far. Yeah, my back and thighs couldn't believe it either; and we still had to walk BACK to the car!

Things I don't understand:

Really old men wearing REALLY short shorts.
The senators having GIANT office suites and sharing a whole floor of the building with just two other senators.
Most of the parents walked around holding a baby while the other one pushed an empty stroller
The roads in DC go one direction in the morning and another direction later in the day
The Cincinnati airport is not in Ohio but Kentucky
DC is completely dead by 4:30 in the afternoon
You can be stuck in traffic at from 8-10 at night when everyone got off work at 4:30
You order a water with your food and they give you a teeny tiny cup (yeah, I know that is everywhere, but come on! I am thirsty and I don't want a giant soda, I just want a big thing of water. It can't cost them that much to give me a normal sized cup full of water.)
how Randy's "Speed walk" can be twice as fast as mine.
How anyone can live in that humidity



So to sum up, we had a really fun time. If we were to do it again, we would do it a little differently; so if you are going soon, give us a call and we will give you some advice.

8 comments:

Grandpa and Grandma B said...

What don't you understand, last comment, I don't understand shorts on old fat men either or why Dad wears socks to his knees and shorts there also. I don't understand why Lily is so beautiful and has such an angelic smile except that she must take after her grandmother, you can decide which one! I would love to do this trip and see the WW 2 memorial and the Korean haven't seen either one. Last time we were in Washington DC we had seven children with us the last two being 2 and 3 years old and everyone got tired of memorials, now I ask you what else is there.

Unknown said...

We had a great time there, but I would do things differently, like not go in July(hot humid yuck, swimming in the monuments waslooked own on(we did it anyway)) You try getting a hot sweaty kid out of a cool pool!!!!
Loved the battle fields, but four was a lot to drag the kids through. I drug Cenny up the steops to Arlington House yelling, "You will appreciate this someday and drag your own daughter kicking a screaming up here."

Good times. The kids loved the Awakewning statue the best.

Heather said...

Lisa,
Too bad we couldn't see the Awakening statue. It was moved in February of this year.

katester said...

I would love the go to dc sometime with my family. The last time i was there I was a little older than Lily. Glad you had a good time.

Ali said...

I need to go with Ben sometime too. You will have to tell me how the best way to do that is. I can't wait to hear all about it. Sounds like you had fun!

Michelle said...

I'm glad you had fun. There is so much to see there, but it sounds like you saw quite a bit.

Michelle said...

Way to go Lily, DC is way to hot for me. You are a brave mom. I like your observations too.

H. Wimmer said...

Randy gets his speed walking from Dad...I swear the first time I went to NYC with my parents it was a blur because my dad walked so fast. Once my mom and I stopped for maybe 2 mins and we lost dad because he was already three blocks ahead. It was amazing!!