Monday, November 10, 2008

So Thankful


I know so many people having a hard time financially and I just want to say that I am so thankful for the decisions Randy and I have made. I am thankful that we are debt free except for our house. I am thankful that we saved up before we bought a house, I am thankful that we got a loan that won't change over time and it was something that we could/can afford. I am thankful that should Randy lose his job, we have an emergency fund set up so that we can take care of ourselves for six months or so with virtually no income coming into our home. I don't mean to brag or anything, I just know so many people who have lost their jobs and their homes are going into foreclosure and it seems every other day a new "for sale" sign is going up in our neighborhood. I am grateful that I can feel a little safer than I would have had we not made these decisions a few years ago. Thanks also goes in large part to Lisa, for letting us borrow her Dave Ramsey book "The total money makeover" about five years ago, and to the Lord for guiding us along the way.

6 comments:

Cormorant said...

Good choices, Heather. I hope that other people will make such wise decisions. Jeff and I have also made similar choices and you're right, it really helps bring peace during these difficult times.

Shanna Blythe said...

Heather,
That is an incredible accomplishment . . . and very rare. You guys have done the smart thing! I'm sure it was hard, but well worth it right?

Anyway. Congratulations!

Unknown said...

You do feel at peace when you are not living pay chack to pay check. I am in love with Dave Ramsey and his program. I still listen to him everyday on a podcast on my TIVo. I am inspired by others stories of struggle to get out of debt and am so glad that we made that decision a few years ago. I will never have a BMW, but I hope to own my house out right soon. Keep up the good work. You inspire all of us for the better.

Unknown said...

I am taking Dave Ramsey's class right now and my husband is taking the next session with me. I'm so excited about it!

katester said...

I totally agree! being debt free is being stress free. Not completely, but it really helps!

Grandpa and Grandma B said...

I guess I would have to say I love Dave Ramsey for what he has done for my kids. Obviously I didn´t do a great job teaching fiscal responsibility but I sure am glad to see my kids out of debt especially in this world. We retired early thinking we were in fantastic shape for the rest of our lives and guess what even with all that has happened in the financial world and all we have lost, since we are debt free and have reduced our expenses the world financial mess does not worry me. I am just sad so many are suffering due to the bad financial advice they bought into.