Saturday, November 15, 2008

Story of My Life

Well, I did it again. I cut myself pretty bad. I was making dinner (like the wonderful wife and mother I am) and I used my new food processor (giggling of course because I love it!). I was making Swedish meatballs so after having mixed everything I reached into the food processor to make the actual meatballs. But, much to my dismay, I had forgotten to take the blade out first. I cut the top of my middle finger. I tried to clean it as best I could, but it was bleeding pretty bad, so I just got paper towels and put pressure on it to stop the bleeding. I knew I needed stitches, but Randy had taken the car that day and he was staying after work to play racquetball so he wouldn't be home until around 6:30 or 7:00 pm. It was around 5:00. Because I am pregnant, I couldn't stop crying! It was so annoying. I was so mad at myself for being so stupid. I was too embarrassed to call anyone, so I left a message on Bobby's cell (he plays ball with Randy) and waited. Randy called me about 6:00 and said I should call a neighbor to take me to the hospital. I couldn't stop crying and was being unreasonable and begged Randy to come home to take me. He said he was about 45 min. away so I should just call a friend. I refused and we ended the call. I guess, while they were driving home they called a few of my neighbors to help me, but nobody was available anyway. So I waited and tried to stop the bleeding, but it wasn't working so well. After waiting almost two hours I finally got to go to the insta-care with Randy like I wanted.

They treated me pretty well, but the numbing shots in my finger hurt worse than anything! They didn't seem too concerned about the bleeding, because after they numbed me and cleaned out the wound, I just sat there while blood dripped down my arm onto the pad they gave me. Luckily, Randy saved my sweater by telling me to pull up the sleeve before it got stained. I received five stitches. that's pretty good for the tip of the finger if you ask me. It hurts really bad and because I am pregnant, I get to feel everything! I can take Tylenol for the pain and that is it. (yeah, that works!) It's a good thing I didn't cut myself in a place with a lot of nerve endings...oh wait, the tip of your finger has a lot of nerve endings. BOO. Yeah, I know it sucks to be me today.The good thing is they told me I am not allowed to do the dishes or clean a toilet for over a week. It's a good thing I have Randy around because he already does those things for me anyway. So that is my story, the story of my life.

Here are some pictures for you people who like the gory stuff like me. enjoy.

Isn't it pretty. by the way, food processing blades are sharp!
I took pictures of the finger while it was bleeding in the insta-care, but they didn't turn out so well b/c they were taken with the cell phone. ah well, use your imagination.

My favorite picture. awesome.
this is Jake concerned about his mommy. Either that or he really wants candy.
This is what I look like all bandaged up.Yeah, I know it looks like I'm flipping everyone off.

12 comments:

Amber said...

That looks so gross. Now I know two people who got stitches this week! You and my 6 year old niece. But hers were on her forehead. I really really like your bandage. Except that it's offensive and all of that. Pretty. I think you need to get yourself some kevlar gloves to wear whenever you are working with knives/sharp objects (except aren't those fireproof not cut-proof?). Or just stop sharpening anything so then everything is dull (like mine) and you can be completely careless and it doesn't matter because you have to hit the blade ridiculously hard to break the skin. But then chopping takes forever...it's a tradeoff :)

katester said...

Yikes, I actually really hurt my finger while I was pregnant too. I slammed my finger in the door on the door hinge thingy. Cut it right open and the bleeding would not stop. I was not smart like you to go to the hospital even though I knew I needed to, i just let it heal on its own which took forever. I still have a scar and no feeling over that area. Get well soon!

Lindsey said...

What is it with your hands? Now you have an injury on your right to go with your left...

Unknown said...

I am sorry I hope it gets better really fast. I have nothing good to say about being pregnant and thiswould really bug me. I think I went without really good pain meds for about 10 years. Get a better finger fast.

Dad said...

Sorry to hear about your injury. Mother's don't like it when their children hurt. I would rather be hurt than hear about you suffering (well, most of the time anyway). Let me know what I can do to help!

Paige said...

Do you secretly hate your fingers, I mean seriously, they serve a purpose. Must you torture them so? I have never known anyone to cut their fingers so often. Sorry about the pain, would say this pregnancy has been the most exciting/interesting?

britt said...

oh my gosh, how annoying and frustrating. I would be so dang mad at myself, and yes, probably crying too. HOpe it gets better soon!

Cormorant said...

Ouch! I'm so sorry.

Nessa said...

The day of Finnegan's Blessing I sliced open my thumb four stiches...one through the nail! That was last April...and the tip of my thumb still has NO FEELING! It sucks being a dork...Eric says that I should only use plastic utensils! Hope you feel better soon!

Michelle said...

Sorry Heath, that's a bummer. I cry to Jared all the time though - and I'm pretty much never bleeding so don't feel bad. Hope you get feeling better soon.

Michelle said...

And I learned on Oprah the other day that while your pregnant your brain shrinks 1/3. I just realized that you are approving your comments, so you don't need to publish mine twice, or this one. Uhh, If I only had a brain.

Clayton and Amber said...

Heather...so I don't blogs for a week and this is what I get?! Holy Cow. I wanted to cry for you. That's terrible. Did you pull out the cheese sponge thing to rest your hand in this time? I feel your pain about one car. It stinks being prego and stuck at home....especially when dangerous things happen!