Friday, January 2, 2009

Drugs? Who needs Drugs?

I thought since I constantly have pregnancy updates and pregnancy announcements given to me all the time (the count is 19 pregnancies again!) I would give a shout out to one of my top 3 must-have books*. 'Hypnobirthing The Marie Mongan Method" is the way I chose to give birth to Jacob and I am really excited to do it again with this baby. It is an interesting technique of birthing that teaches you self-hypnosis. The theory is that fear causes tension and tension causes pain. So therefore, if you take out the fear in birthing, you can birth your baby without any pain. It sounds crazy I know. But I also know that I have done it once and it totally worked for me! You learn relaxation techniques so you don't tense up during labor and you keep relaxed through the whole thing so you don't need or even want drugs or other interventions. I actually never even thought about asking for anything during my labor with Jacob. Anyway, I could go on and on about the book/CD/Classes, but I guess if you would like more information, you can go to www.hypnobirthing.com . I would also send you my personal hypnobirthing story via e-mail if you would like it. It is awesome and totally worth it. I had a not so good birth experience using Lamaze and an epidural with Tyler (it hurt a lot) and a great experience with the natural labor Hypnobirth with Jacob (didn't hurt). If I can do it anybody can. Anyway, give it a read!

*the other two books in my top 3 are "The Total Money Makeover" by Dave Ramsey and "Good Night Sleep tight" by Kim West.

FYI: 97% of women in Utah opt for an epidural for their babies births. interesting.

7 comments:

Michelle said...

Ya, I was flipping between the utes game and 20/20 last night. It was about extreme mothering or something. If you happened to watch any of it you'll know what I'm talking about, but it was interesting to say the least.

I wish hospitals had a better balance of what they offer in birthing centers. I keep reading and watching all this stuff about deliveries like you're describing but I wonder if I could really do it. I guess I do need to take the fear out. I think I'll check out that site. Is it too late to get your brain in that mode if your only 8 weeks away.

Michelle said...

ya you should email me you're story.

Heather said...

sure Michelle, I will e-mail you my birth story, and no it isn't too late. With Jake I started classes when I was 4 weeks away!

Lindsey said...

I'm glad you posted this. I am still having an epidural, I love drugs-esp. with twins, but I'd still like to have some other help just for chilling out a bit during the whole process. Plus, my sis-in-law is really interested in hypno-birthing info, so this is a good start for her.

Nessa said...

I had an epidural with the first three...no complaints. With #4, however (Finnegan), my epidural only lasted for three hours and was completely gone by the time I had to push...ouch! If we have any more kids I think that I want to try it natural, so thanks for the heads up!

Heather said...

Linds, It totally helps you deal with pregnancy as well as actual labor. I sleep better (and so does
Randy) and it helps you practice when you have Braxton Hicks Contractions or just make you happy until you are ready for an epidural.

TStevens said...

Ask for the drugs anyways and sell them on Ebay later.