Monday, January 26, 2009

Call Me Crazy.


It snowed yesterday and today. I was about to take a shower when I looked out the window and noticed that our driveway needed to be shoveled. So I told the kids to be good (yeah right) and I put on my boots, barely got my coat buttoned around my big baby belly and headed out into the cold to shovel. It was so nice.

Growing up, I loved to shovel the snow. I remember one year Kim, Lindsey and I think Ali and I shoveled our whole circle. Not just everybodys driveways, but the actual road as well was cleared up. Kim and I enjoyed ourselves, but I don't think Linds liked doing it very much. Anyway, I have always felt like shoveling snow is sort of therapeutic for me. I guess it is weird, but to each his own right?

So I am outside feeling the cold on my face and the weight of the snow on the shovel as I pile it to one side or the other. It is quiet (for once) with no kids asking for this and that and It is strenuous, but not too much to handle. It feels good. I saw a neighbor look at me strangely, and I guess it must be strange to see an 8 months pregnant girl outside shoveling with a big smile on her face. I also thought it strange though for all I saw pass me by and not offer to assist the said pregnant girl. After all, It is a chore for most people, and sometimes it isn't easy with how wet the snow is here. So here is a shout out to the wonderful snow that came our way, cleared out the nasty inversion and let me have a few minutes of therapeutic peace.

The good things about shoveling:
1.Randy loves it when he comes home and doesn't have to do it. I like to make him smile.
2.I think that might count as my workout for the day?
3. I get a few minutes (or 45 min) to myself. ahhhhhh..

Drawbacks to the shoveling:
1. I had to stop every time I had a contraction.
2.I didn't have enough energy at the end to do the sidewalks, just the driveway.

9 comments:

Lindsey said...

What? You didn't do the road, sidewalks, and all the neighbors driveways? What's the point? Just kidding-I really do hate it. Your memory is correct.

TStevens said...

I love shoveling in the dark with the light of the moon, the snow is so peaceful and beautiful. It is Lisa david hates snow shoveling.

katester said...

YOU ARE CRAZY!!! Just because you are pregnant though. I totally understand liking to shovel. It can only be related to cleaning a big mess (which I like to do), plus it is cold and fun. I totally agree with you, but get your pregnant butt back inside missy!

Nessa said...

I love to go out and shovel as well, but I can't leave the baby in the house so I have to wait for Eric to get home. It always makes me smile to think that going to the dentist, shoveling snow, and hair appointments are sooooo much fun because I get peace and quiet! :)

Amber said...

Heather you are crazy. Although it is weird how those mundane tasks where you just work and breathe hard and it's quiet can be so nice sometimes.
Maybe it will snow in March and you can jumpstart your baby labor with a little more hard labor :)
That's what Maren did with her 2nd boy--she mowed the lawn in the morning and had Ben that night.

Cormorant said...

Amen! There is so much snow in Bountiful as well.

Just don't overdo it; you don't want to go into premature labor or throw your back out or something!

Michelle said...

OK, you're crazy.

The Hardy's said...

i can't believe you only have 35 i have the reverse, 53. i was out shoveling the other day too and it feels good to get some exercise. preggo women can do lots!!

TStevens said...

I was looking at the comments and was thinking mine did not sound anything like me - there is a reason for that.