Friday, March 20, 2009

From Randy: Has Anyone Seen my Car, Part II

I got a call from the SLCPD last night at 1:30 am. They have found my car. She told me I had to come pick it up or they would have to impound. I asked how long I had to pick up the car and she said, "20 minutes." I was all alone at home with the boys (Heather was at her mom's with Lily) so I couldn't just leave, and there was no way I could get there in 20 minutes. So I conceded that it should be impounded.
"By the way, where did they find the car?" I asked.
"2100 west North Temple," she replied.
The car was stolen from my work at 2210 West North Temple. For those of you that are having a hard time understanding what that means, I added a map pointing out where the car was stolen out of the parking lot, and where it was dumped. Not much of a joy ride.
I went to pick it up from the impound today. Imagine an empty lobby with a window. As I arrive at said empty window I am told to take a number. I'm not kidding. She told me to take a number. I did, and then waited until the "Now serving" sign showed my number. I paid the impound fee, all $229 of it, and was told I could now pick my car up at the impound lot. The impound lot is not down town where the impound window is. That would make sense. The impound lot, however, is about 4 miles west of the impound window. (The government really should run Health care)
I drove to the impound lot and went into the impound lot window. (Note: This is not the impound window. This is the Impound Lot Window. The Impound window was about 4 miles east.) At the impound lot window they do everything they did at the Impound window except they didn't take money. Where's my car? Not in the lot behind the Impound lot window. It is at the impound lot, which is down the street. To make along story short, I drove to the lot and they drove me to my car. And the government sucks at running things. (No wonder it cost $229, There was 8 employees between me and the car.)
So, How's the car? I didn't recognize it at first. My car had a front license plate. They broke that off. They also broke half of my BYU Alumni plate cover on the back. (I didn't want to say it. Not all Ute fans are thieves. It just looks that way.) Other than that, the car had been rummaged threw, or as they say in the movies, "tossed." A piece of the air flow system had been pulled out, but that went back in easily. Nothing seemed to be missing or broken. The radio was on a hip-hop station, and the rear-view mirror was set for a rather short person. (not all Ute fans are short either) so we drove it home.
That's it. We drove it home.
Thank you for everyone's concern. Especially to my Brother-in-Law for getting the word out. I don't believe it was just coincidence that your post came out just hours before the car was found.

Lesson's learned: If your car gets stolen, drive around the area, you may just find it. If I would have, I would have found it in about three minutes. $229?

View Larger Map

4 comments:

Grandpa and Grandma B said...

That is amazing you got it back so soon and in not too bad of condition. You didn't mention how they got it started. When ours was stolen they broke a window and punched a hole in the steering column and that wasn't cheap to get fixed. Just glad you got it back and it is running. Yea won't it be great when the government runs our health care - not!

TStevens said...

I for one blame George W. Bush, Senator Buttars, and the Univesity of Utah. No we know why they got upset in the tournament.

Unknown said...

I will have to echo Nacncy Pelosi, your car theft has to do with the Bush administration. Everything bad does. My cold I'm sure is linked to Bush somehow.

Shanna Blythe said...

Randy,
Wow. I'm so sorry, but so glad that you guys got the car back. And if you ever have an emergency again--we can take the boys with no problem!

Shanna