Thursday, March 19, 2009

The story

Ok, so I said I would post my birth story a few days ago, but I actually haven't had time to do it yet. surprise! Lily is asleep right now (for who knows how long) and since I am staying at my mom's all is quiet (The boys have croup or something close to it so I ran away with the baby until they get better.)

On Thursday March 12th I went to a baby shower for someone in my ward and I noticed I was having fairly regular contractions. I was timing them at the shower and they were 5 to 6 min apart. When I walked home (a couple of blocks) from the shower the contractions were about 3 min apart. When I got home, Randy and I watched a little TV and they slowed down. I figured they would just go away like all the other "false labor." We went to bed and the last contraction I had had was about 20 min. before that. I woke Randy up at about 2:30 am to tell him they were getting pretty strong and were about 10 min apart. He told me to wake him up when they were closer to 6 min apart. two contractions later they were. We called a neighbor (Bobby) to come over and watch the boys, aka: sleep on our couch, until my mom arrived. We arrived at the hospital about 4:00 am and I was dilated at a three and a half (yeah sweet.) and so they had me walk around the hospital for about 45 min to keep things going. when they checked me after that, I was at a 5 and 80% effaced so they admitted me. I had to have an IV for the group B strep and that was a problem because nobody could find a vein to put it in. it took 3 nurses and a long time (not sure how long) plus warming towels and multiple pokes and "digging around" till I finally got the IV in my right arm inside the elbow. So I had to lay for a while with the IV and the monitors on my stomach. When They took them off I felt the contractions were getting really strong (this was about 6:30am) so I had her check my progress. I was only at a 6 and 1/2! I was still breathing through the contractions and hadn't had any pain, it was just getting harder to concentrate. My back started to ache so I had Randy rub it through each contraction but it didn't seem to help much. He was in the bed with me "spooning" and I got mad at him because I felt him fall asleep a couple of times and shake back awake. I didn't want to walk around and since my back was bothering me a lot. (she had turned posterior just like her brothers) Randy suggested he fill up the tub in my bathroom for me to help ease the tension. While he was filling the tub the contractions got really intense and he asked me if I wanted the nurse to check me, but she had just checked me and I was only at a 6 so I thought I had a while to go. Anyway, I got in the tub (it felt so nice) and on the first contraction in the tub Randy looked at me and said he was going to get the nurse to check me. She checked me in the tub and said I was "complete" and told me to get out of the tub. So I got out of the tub and during another contraction (while randy wiped me down with towels) I felt my body starting to push. I had a rough walk back to the bed (just like Jakey)I layed on my left side and put my arms around Randy's neck and started pushing the baby out. My water broke, then she came after about two pushes and a doctor from the hall "caught" her for me. when I opened my eyes I saw that there were about 8 nurses running around the room. apparently they pushed an alarm so all the available nurses came in. I had Lily at 7:09 am my midwife was called too late so she didn't get there until about 15 min after Lily was born. Lily was 8lbs 15 oz (same as Tyler) and 20 inches long. They didn't have enough cribs, so I got to keep Lily in my delivery room with me for about an hour before they took her away. I didn't tear at all, so right after I had her I was ready to head home. unfortunately though, they made me stay two nights because they had to watch Lily for signs of infection because the medicine from the IV wasn't in my body for the "required length of time". Anyway, that's my story. another successful hypnobirth! It is wonderful and everyone should try it in my opinion. I will make another hypnobirth video and show it when I can.

2 comments:

Nessa said...

You are my hero! I still don't know if Eric and I will have another one for sure, but I want to look into the hypno birthing. Glad all was well. Thanks for sharing! I''m happy you are all home and there wasn't any added stress like having a car stolen! :)

katester said...

The hypnobirth sounds amazing. I am not sure I will ever get to try it but if I do I will call on you.