Saturday, February 21, 2009

What's the Deal?

(this is NOT my belly BTW. nobody would want to see it right now believe me! lol)

I am 38 Weeks pregnant. A typical pregnancy is 40 weeks. That is roughly how long it takes to carry a child to term so it is healthy, etc. Now why is it that seemingly everyone is asking me things like "Are you going to be induced early?" or "Are you going to have your membranes stripped so you can have the baby sooner?" etc. What's the deal? Is it weird that I am planning on having my baby around my due date? I don't really want any medical interventions or extra steps taken so that I "Won't have to deal with those last VERY uncomfortable weeks." There is a reason that pregnancies are as long as they are and only God and our bodies know when the time is right for the baby to come. Call me crazy, but I am in no hurry to have this baby. It IS getting increasingly difficult to actually do stuff like, oh, I don't know, put on shoes, pick up toys, pick up Jacob, walk without waddling, etc. But I trust my body and my baby to know when it is time to come. Children tend to have their own schedules and being induced so you can PLAN the whole thing, seems a little silly to me. Is it because we have the medical equipment and know how to help a baby survive at even 26 weeks gestation? Yeah, if I had the baby today, or even 2 weeks ago, she would most likely be just fine. I just don't get why everyone is in such a hurry. A few girls I know who are due roughly a month after me are ready to have their babies now! It is crazy. My baby is warm, safe, well cared for and she gets everything she needs without me having to do very much. It seems like a great situation the two of us have going. I WILL let you all know when she does decide to come, and since Ty was born 3 days after his due date and Jacob was born 5 days before his due date, I am thinking that this baby will be born sometime around the first week in March (her due date). As of yesterday, I am dilated at a full 1 and and she has dropped quite a bit lower, I lost 3 lbs this week (which is a sign of she may come soon) and she is getting pretty big. I could have her tomorrow or in 3 weeks, you never know. But I am more than willing to wait and see. I guess I will stop ranting now and just end with WHAT'S THE DEAL?

11 comments:

Michelle said...

Amen. Plus, it's not always good if they come too eary and you are not at all ready and you are moving and your other 2 kids have been throwing up for two days and you haven't bought a car seat yet or washed the baby clothes. . .oh sorry. This was your rant.
They come when they are ready and I'm sure you will be too. Good luck!

Nessa said...

She will come when she wants to come. I actually did have my membranes stripped with my first three to try to get labor going, but that was because my Dr. was afraid that I couldn't deliver large babies, and preferred me to deliever a week or so early. I never understood why people were in such a rush to get the baby out, when as you said, they are happy and warm! Leave her be...and after this post you'll probably have her this week!:) Relax, sit back, and make Randy rub your feet!

Unknown said...

Some of us do not have a choice. I have never gone into labor on my own, even with Gunnar three weeks over dure he had no plans on ever coming out. Zeke was induced two weeks early to make sure I could push him out. Two weeks early and over 8 and 1/2 pounds already. I do not know what it feels like to go into labor, Qatar was four days over his due date, Cenneidigh and JT were one day before because of the Dr schedule.
Real labor is suppose to be easier then being induced I wish I could tell you if that is true.

Heather said...

Lisa, I totally understand that some people don't have a choice and obviously if it was medically necessary I would do it. I have never been worried about my babies being too big. Ty was almost 9lbs and jake was 8 1/2 so I think that they are made just right for me.

katester said...

Amen sista! Sienna was 6 weeks early and I cried every time I had to look at her with an IV attached to her head and a feeding tube in her nose. She is completely healthy and was born because both of us would have died otherwise but I would have loved to carry her to full term. I hope my next pregnancy is healthy so I can carry to full term or at least 37 weeks.
I can understand that pregnancy is uncomfortable for most women. But if you CAN carry the baby to full term why would you opt for anything else? I would not let a doctor's schedule change my baby's birthday. I totally understand if the baby is ready to come and is not coming that you induce.
Maybe I only feel this strongly about it because I have had a baby live in the Nicu for 18 days and it was pure misery leaving her there and going home without her.
Women have proved to be strong over and over but let's prove it again by not complaining about the back aches and small bladders and take the best care of our unborn children that we can.

Amber said...

Way to be Heath! I feel the same way. Not that I would complain if my baby decided to be ready a few days before the due date, but I'll be patient if it's not :)
I can't believe how close you are!!!! Ahh! I'm so excited. And once you ahve the baby and I know her name, I can make your presents. YESS!

Clayton and Amber said...

I loved reading this. Thank you for changing my views on pregnancy after my Tyler was born. Because, let's be honest. I was traumatized. I could never have enjoyed it so much, been so patient, or delivered Mack naturally without your help!

Clayton and Amber said...

P.S. Please have her on my Birthday...just kidding.

Cormorant said...

I completely agree that we should trust our bodies to be able to do what is best for our babies. Obviously, things don't always work out perfectly, and that's when people need to be induced/etc. but if you have a normal, healthy baby, I agree that there's no reason to "plan" when the baby comes. It's only a few more days anyway! :)

And, BTW, I loved the painting you did. It looks great.

Foster said...

It really is the best idea to wait--plain and simple!

We are excited for you!

Michelle said...

I do agree with you Heath, but the deal is that every body's body and pregnancies and situations are different, what's right for one isn't right for all. You are lucky to be able to have your babies on your own. (but I have heard some scary stories about babies who stay in too long too) but that's why mom's have intuition right, so we can do what feels right for us and our babies.